Thomas is a Senior Associate who joined the firm as a graduate in 2017. He is a generalist; with commercial, property, governance, planning and litigation experience. He has extensive experience working with Aboriginal people, communities and organisations of all different kinds, with a particular focus on NSW. Career highlights include:
- Simultaneously advising multiple Aboriginal organisations on a complex bid for funding from NSW’s $1B Social and Affordable Housing Fund
- Advising climate activists pro bono on Australia’s largest market licensee’s obligations to require listed entities to disclose their climate-related financial risks (in the TCFD format or otherwise)
- Advising on the preparation of NSW’s first Aboriginal Land Council Development Delivery Plans
- Acting on NSW’s first ‘blanket Aboriginal land claim’
- Acting on a complex shareholder oppression proceeding – linked to four related proceedings
- Successfully acting for the plaintiff in her membership dispute with The Greens NSW, which ultimately led to her appointment to the Legislative Council of New South Wales
Thomas has published in the area of Indigenous planning and has presented seminars on Indigenous legal issues to university students. At university he completed his honours thesis on the legal and social interaction of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) and the Aboriginal Land Rights Act 1983 (NSW).
When not working, Thomas enjoys politics, world history and keeping fit. He won’t hear a bad word about the Parramatta Eels.