James has practised as a solicitor since 2000. In that time he has worked extensively on native title and land rights matters, across South Australia, Queensland, Victoria, New South Wales and Western Australia. His expertise includes:
- preparing and undertaking litigation of native title claims in the Federal Court, including in response to future act notices
- future act negotiations and implementation of agreements
- ILUA negotiations and authorisation
- certification of ILUAs and native title claims
- conduct of litigation relating to corporate governance and decision-making processes by Aboriginal groups and corporations
- conduct of litigation relating to future act processes (compulsory acquisition)
- negotiating Aboriginal heritage processes under State and Federal laws, and disputes about the operation of those processes
- resolution of disputes between Aboriginal people and representative bodies (including NTRBs, NTSPs and PBCs)
Highlights of his work include representing the nguraritja of De Rose Hill (SA) and representing the Goolarabooloo People in relation to native title, Aboriginal heritage and future act issues at James Price Point (WA).
James has been with the firm since 2008.